Free Quote from America’s Most Trusted Mover
Our moving quotes , provide customers with a proximate idea of pricing for their move. These quotes can be very helpful in determining costs across various moving companies. After we’re able to gather more information about your move, we can give you an estimate, which provides a more accurate price for your move.
At Mayflower, we aim to simplify the moving quote process so that you can make the right decision for your move and your budget.
We understand that customers want to review comparative pricing and moving services before they hire a long-distance mover. With that in mind, we strive to provide moving quotes in a timely manner so you can move forward confidently with the decision making process.
Moving Cost Estimates
Mayflower recognizes that choosing a moving company is a big decision, and as America’s most trusted and recognized name in moving, we’ve learned a thing or two over the years. Below are some helpful tips that we have compiled and would like to pass on to you as you begin your moving process.
Researching Your Move
As you gather quotes from moving companies, be sure to research their credentials and reputation. Here are a few things to look for when you are in the research phase of your move:
Ensure that, if you are looking at long distance moving quotes, the moving company that you select has the federal authorization, granted by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), to move your belongings across state lines.
Compare moving service packages and pricing.
Make sure that the mover you select has experience in the moving industry and offers quality services to its customers.
Request a direct point of contact during the moving quote process so that you can have all of your pricing questions answered quickly.
What Is Typically Included in a Moving Company’s Cost?
Factors that may influence moving company quotes and prices
- Date of your move: Pay attention to your moving date. Various times of the year can impact the cost of your move. If you have the flexibility, ask your moving company if there are certain timeframes that may be more cost-effective for you.
- Seasonality: Generally speaking, summer months are the most in-demand months for moving, due to ideal temperatures and favorable moving conditions. Your moving quote may be lower if you move during “non-peak season” dates. Peak season dates tend to fall during the May, June, July, August and September months.
- Distance of your move: The distance between your old and new home can influence your moving quote price. Expect to have a higher cost the further the distance to your move destination.
- Size of your home: Many times, the size of your home can affect your moving costs. For example, a minimalist who lives in a studio apartment likely has fewer belongings than someone who lives in a fully furnished four-bedroom home. Since many moving quotes are based on the weight and/or volume of your belongings, the size of your home can affect your moving quote as well.
- Weight of your belongings: Some moving quotes are calculated on weight; therefore, heavier items may lead to higher moving quotes. Many movers even set their charges based on a minimum weight. This is sometimes one of the most overlooked factors that is used to calculate your moving quote.
At Mayflower, we offer a wide variety of add-on services to enhance your moving experience. Some of our offered add-on services include TV mounting, computer network set-up, debris pickup, cleaning and more. See our full list of additional services offered.
- Packing and labor costs: Packing can be one of the most stressful tasks related to a move. Packing services can increase your moving quotes but also save you time and hassle. You can save money if you choose to pack yourself. If you decide not to pack your items, we offer both full and partial packing options , so you can pick which option is best for your preferences and your budget.
- Moving Protection: The level of moving protection – i.e., what your mover’s liability will be in the event of unforeseen loss or damage to your belongings – that you select can change the cost of your moving quote. All interstate movers are required to offer a minimum amount of moving protection to customers, also known as valuation. Mayflower includes its basic Full-Value Protection in every initial quote. However, you can also elect a less-expensive “Minimum Protection” option and/or purchase additional amounts of Full Value Protection if you choose. Learn more about our moving protection options.
- Storage Costs: Depending on the complexity of your move, you may need short or long-term storage. Including storage as part of your long-distance move will increase your moving quote.
Instant Ballpark Quotes vs. Moving Quotes or Moving Estimates
Moving is complicated, and providing a truthful moving quote is paramount in providing realistic expectations for our customers. We understand the frustration of having to pay more than what you were told when the moving services remain unchanged. Sometimes moving lingo gets mixed up, and it’s easy to get confused between an instant ballpark quote and a moving quote (also known as moving estimate).
So what’s the difference between an instant ballpark quote and a moving quote? Simply put, an instant ballpark quote is a very rough estimate that is based on the limited information that you provide to a moving company. It may not be the actual price that you will pay. Use instant ballpark moving quotes as a starting point in gauging your moving costs.
A moving quote or moving estimate is more involved compared to an instant ballpark quote. Moving quotes require you to provide more information to the moving company and for the mover to view the items in your home that you need to have moved. Here, at Mayflower, we offer both in-home and virtual walk-throughs so that estimators can see your belongings, the layout of your home and the areas in which the movers will enter and exit your home. During these walk-throughs, estimators review any special requirements that you may have and answer your questions and concerns. Soon after your walk-through, you’ll receive your official moving quote.
Start Your Online Moving Quote
Get Your Online Moving Quote in Four Easy Steps
Mayflower streamlines the steps needed to obtain a moving estimate, while, at the same time, providing a moving estimate that is customized to fit your specific needs. Our 90 years of moving experience have given us incredible insights as to how we can provide the best estimate experience to our customers for moving services. Get started with your personalized moving estimate today, and let Mayflower guide you through every step of your upcoming move.
Step 1: Request a Quote Online
Click here and enter your moving dates, origin zip code, destination zip code, type of home and contact information.
Step 2: Schedule Your Survey
A Mayflower representative will call you to confirm your move details, discuss your needs and schedule a survey of the belongings that you would like to move.
Step 3: Survey of Your Belongings
An estimator will survey your items and help you build a moving services plan that fits your needs, budget and timeline. You will then receive your moving quote.
Step 4: Plan Your Move
Once you decide to move forward with Mayflower, your personal move coordinator will walk you through the process and provide tips, tools and resources to help you plan your move.